Monday, August 21, 2017

Christmas Cards In August?

Yes, I know it is August but my card making friends will totally understand why my thoughts are turning to the Christmas season.  The Penny Black release for the 2017 season is available and I couldn't wait to get started on this years cards.

These two cards are my first made with my new Penny Black 40-574 "Adornments" cling stamp.  I used Hero Arts pigment inks cubes applied directly to the stamp and my Misti to ink the ornaments.  You could use masks to help with the inking, but I just applied the ink to directly to the stamp and wiped off any ink in areas that I didn't want with a baby wipe.  The beauty of the Misti is the ability to add layers of color to an image.  To add back the color for the ornament hooks I used a Micron Pen to draw over the detail.  After I was happy with the inking, I stamped over the image one last time wit Versa Mark ink and heat embossed with a clear embossing powder.  The background is created by taping off an edge with Micro Pore tape and sponging in Distress Oxide inks in "Iced Spruce" and "Antique Linen".


I made a second card on watercolor paper.  The ornaments are colored using the same method as my first card but for this one I painted in a watercolor background.  After it was totally dry I added some glittery snow to the card using my Simon Says Stamp SSST121324 "Falling Snow" stencil and Faber Castell "Glass Bead Glitter Gel".

Thanks for dropping by to check out my cards.  I hope you found my technique inspiring and gives you an idea of how I worked with this stamp.  I always welcome any comments, questions and suggestions you may have.

3 comments: